I recently downloaded a trial copy of Adobe Photoshop with more bells and whistles than the program I have. I found it quite interesting to see how much I rely on what I've already learned when I'm using a new program to do a familiar task. My fingers want to move in certain ways to various placings that were there in the old program but have moved in the new one. Same thing for mouse moves.I found it fascinating to see how much I knew that I didn't even know I knew and how difficult it was to do an old task in a new way. As I worked with the program, it became more familiar and intuitive.
This experience illustrated for me the tenants of learning theory that
Learning is
a process of knowledge construction
not of knowledge recording or absorption
Learning is
knowledge dependent;
people use their existing knowledge to construct new knowledge
What do you think?
Submitted by Marty Layne, previously posted on Marty's blog