Friday, June 13, 2008

Melany Asks and Nicole Answers: What are you reading?

Nichole G. gave a wonderful and full response to Melany's most recent question, "What are you reading?".

* * *


I am *so* glad this question was asked! It's always a (secret) burning question of mine - what are other people feeding their brains with?! I typically have several books or general topics on the go, and I usually read in the bath after the kids are asleep, or in the middle of the night when I can't sleep. Oh, and I nearly exclusively read non-fiction, and nearly always get my books from the local library; I hardly ever buy books anymore.

On my bookshelf at the moment (in no particular order):

Silent Spring (Carson, Rachel) - I'm actually finding this book a little gloomy, but I know I will feel even more strongly towards organics and protecting the environment once I'm done.







Vegan Planet (Robertson, Robin) - okay, it's a vegan cookbook, but I do love looking for simple, quick, wholesome recipes. I've been vegan for nearly 2 yrs now, and I am still as committed today as the day I dropped meat and dairy from my diet (Earth Day 2006).






Another favourite vegan cookbook is by local author Laura Matthias, whom some local homeschoolers may know, Extra-Vegan-Za. Even if you're not vegan, you'll enjoy it - especially the cookies!!






Easy Composting (Ortho Books) - a good basic overall book about composting, including plans for a 3-bin pallet system, which you can see in action down at the Greater Victoria Compost Education Center on Northpark St. in Fernwood.







The Power of Intention (Dyer, Wayne) - I am really enjoying this book! It is about how we have the ability to create our lives, and reminds us to be conscious of our intentions in every moment.







To Have or To Be? (Fromm, Erich) - questions consumerism in our society and in our lives. Are you someone who defines yourself on what you have, or on who you are? Do you show your love by buying a new toy, or by "being loving"? It's a very interesting read.






Light, Radiation, and You: how to stay healthy (Ott, John Nash) - I've read a couple books on EMF (electromagnetic fields) lately. When you consider technology such as microwaves, cell phones, cordless phones, GPS, MP3s and IPODs (just to name a few) are recent technologies - what DON'T we know about how they affect the body?






Home by Design: transforming your house into home (Susanka, Sarah) - Sarah is the author of "The Not So Big House" - the idea that we are building houses that are way too big, and we need to rethink the McMansion concept. A well-designed house need not be large.






A Pattern Language: towns, buildings, construction (Alexander, Christopher et. al) - A large (1100+ pg) book, used as a textbook for planning students - the basic premise is that we need to build our lives and the buildings and towns we live in to reflect the interconnectedness of all life (at least that's what I got out of it). For example, there is clustered housing which backs onto green space (moving from 'usable' greenspace like shared backyards, towards wildlife corridors); there are a majority of pedestrian and cyclist friendly roads, with main by-passes for cars. Basically, we have built our cities and suburbs, etc., around the use of cars, but for sustainability, we need to make some changes. The book starts very general (on the 'town' level) and gets very specific (to the rooms of our houses, to the paths leading to our front doors, etc.) as you progress. Each chapter is linked with many others so you can see the interconnectedness between all the levels.

I guess you could say that overall, I'm reading about choices in life - our food choices, or housing choices, lifestyle choices - basically I think I'm trying to answer, "What is important to you?" What do you value so much that you're willing to defend, to stand up for? What do you truly believe in? I'm continually trying to answer that for myself, while remaining open to possibility.

* * *


Would you like to share what's on your current book pile? Please send your submission to editor(at)vhln.org and we'll add your post!

No comments: